The Head Coach of Porirua City Aquatics is Nevill Sutton who is directly responsible for our competitive swimmers and our squad structures. With 41 years of involvement in the sport of swimming through competing, coaching, and administration Nevill has a wealth of knowledge which is to the benefit of our swimmers. Nevill can be contacted by
Our squads swim at various times as outlined in the weekly swimming timetable
Squad swimming is available to any club member who is keen to race, is committed to training and is prepared to pay the extra coaching fees and pool door entry. Placement in a squad will be made if there is space in a squad that suits the swimmers ability.
All queries relating to moving into a squad or fees should be addressed to Viv Morton phone (04) 234-7071 or .
If you have any other queries you can either contact the coach or the nominated Squad Liaison club member, details on our contacts page.
Our squad structure is as follows:
- Penguins Squad, an entry level group swimming twice a week under the guidance of a professional coach, the aim of this group is to teach technique and training habits. From October 2012 selected swimmers can join an advanced penguin group that trains for three times per week.
- Swordfish Squad, an introductory squad programme swimming up to 3 afternoons each week at Cannons Creek Pool, the aim of this group is to master stroke fundamentals and compete in club events and Gold Coast Carnivals.
- Orcas Squad, the aim of this squad is to qualify and swim at SW Championship events, to qualify for NZ Juniors and compete at all Premier events, the majority of Orca sessions are at Cannons Creek Pool.
- Marlins Squad, a squad for those who have not achieved National Qualifying Times but who are swimming at a higher level than the Orcas, swimmers will compete at SW Championship events and aim to achieve National Qualifying times, all swimmers in Marlins Squad and above swim at Te Rauparaha Arena.
- Dolphins Squad, a squad for those aiming to achieve Div II or NAGS qualifying times, to make finals at SW Championships and to compete at all Premier Events.
- Sharks Squad, a higher squad for those aiming to achieve Div II or NAGS times, to make finals at SW Championships and compete at all Premier Events.
- Killer Whales, our highest squad for those competing at Open Nationals, squad members are expected to make the highest commitment to their swimming, they are aiming to medal at SW Championships and make finals at National events.
An information sheet with more information about the Junior Squad structure, expectations and progression is available here.